WE NOW SELL FOLKMANIS PUPPETS! BOOK 1 NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE! BOOK 2 COMING SOON!

WE NOW SELL FOLKMANIS PUPPETS!!!
WE OFFER HAND PUPPETS, FINGER PUPPETS, STAGE and CHARACTER PUPPETS.
CONTACT US FOR ALL YOUR CLASSROOM PUPPET NEEDS.

MUSICAL MANIPULATIVES - BOOK 1 and 2!
ALL THOSE GREAT MANIPULATIVE IDEAS HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED IN 2 NEW HANDBOOKS. INDEXES INCLUDE TITLE, STEADY BEAT, MELODY, SEASONAL and CHILDREN'S LITERATURE REFERENCES.

CLICK TO EMAIL FOR MORE INFO OR TO ORDER YOUR MATERIALS: creativemusicclassrooms@gmail.com.


CLICK THESE TABS FOR EACH PAGE SELECTION.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

STEADY BEAT - APPLE TREE, APPLE TREE

Apple tree, apple tree,
Will your apple fall on me?
I won't cry and I won't shout
If your apple knocks me out!

This week's activity focuses on steady beat and audiation.  I placed 8 paper plates on the floor and asked the kids to watch as I laid a paper apple on each plate.  As I laid the apple on the plate, I said, "Yum!"  After saying the poem, I touched each plate and said, "Yum."  I asked the children to join and repeated the process.  After saying the poem and "reading" the plates a few times, I removed one of the apples from the plate.  I told them, "Someone ate the apple -- so we have to leave the "yum" out."  We repeated the activity and when we got to the silent plate, we left out the word.  Yes, there were a few that still said "yum" but they were in the moment and I could tell immediately that they realized that they should have been silent.  JOY  :)

Continue repeating the poem and removing apples until all of the apples are gone.  At another time, I have already written quarter rests on the back of each apple and will be ready to practice the quarter rest once I have presented "ta rest."

(Thanks to Jeff and Randy for the inspiration of this activity.)

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE APPLE SHAPES

1 comment:

  1. I just tried this lesson with one of my kindergarten classes and it was a great success! Such a simple idea, and the students really caught on quickly! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete