WE NOW SELL FOLKMANIS PUPPETS! BOOK 1 NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE! BOOK 2 COMING SOON!

WE NOW SELL FOLKMANIS PUPPETS!!!
WE OFFER HAND PUPPETS, FINGER PUPPETS, STAGE and CHARACTER PUPPETS.
CONTACT US FOR ALL YOUR CLASSROOM PUPPET NEEDS.

MUSICAL MANIPULATIVES - BOOK 1 and 2!
ALL THOSE GREAT MANIPULATIVE IDEAS HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED IN 2 NEW HANDBOOKS. INDEXES INCLUDE TITLE, STEADY BEAT, MELODY, SEASONAL and CHILDREN'S LITERATURE REFERENCES.

CLICK TO EMAIL FOR MORE INFO OR TO ORDER YOUR MATERIALS: creativemusicclassrooms@gmail.com.


CLICK THESE TABS FOR EACH PAGE SELECTION.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

STEADY BEAT - APPLE TREE, APPLE TREE

Apple tree, apple tree,
Will your apple fall on me?
I won't cry and I won't shout
If your apple knocks me out!

This week's activity focuses on steady beat and audiation.  I placed 8 paper plates on the floor and asked the kids to watch as I laid a paper apple on each plate.  As I laid the apple on the plate, I said, "Yum!"  After saying the poem, I touched each plate and said, "Yum."  I asked the children to join and repeated the process.  After saying the poem and "reading" the plates a few times, I removed one of the apples from the plate.  I told them, "Someone ate the apple -- so we have to leave the "yum" out."  We repeated the activity and when we got to the silent plate, we left out the word.  Yes, there were a few that still said "yum" but they were in the moment and I could tell immediately that they realized that they should have been silent.  JOY  :)

Continue repeating the poem and removing apples until all of the apples are gone.  At another time, I have already written quarter rests on the back of each apple and will be ready to practice the quarter rest once I have presented "ta rest."

(Thanks to Jeff and Randy for the inspiration of this activity.)

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE APPLE SHAPES

2 comments:

  1. I just tried this lesson with one of my kindergarten classes and it was a great success! Such a simple idea, and the students really caught on quickly! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this new take on an old song! Looking forward to your Vancouver workshop next week, Thom.

    ReplyDelete